The Republican Party of Illinois is the party
of Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan, with a proud tradition of support for freedom, opportunity, and integrity.
By fighting to reform Illinois, we will regain the trust of the people of this state.
will return to our roots through dramatic reforms that can unleash the
great potential of the individuals of this state – not the size and
reach of government.
- Public office as a public trust
Less government intrusion in our lives
Freedom and opportunity
No more “government as usual”
Ending government waste
Strong national defense
The State of Illinois finds itself on the brink of financial
collapse, and a troubling pattern of scandal and controversy has caused
people to lose faith in their leaders.
decisions by elected officials have mortgaged the future for Illinois
children. Under the direction of Illinois House Speaker/Illinois Democratic Party Chairman/Father of the Illinois Attorney General, Mike Madigan and Governors Blagojevich and Quinn, state borrowing
has ballooned by tens of billions of dollars.
Mike Madigan and his fellow Illinois Democrats are asking Illinois taxpayers to pay
67% more in taxes in order to help erase the massive deficits Blagojevich Democrats created,
at the same time that he’s proposing massive new state spending that
will cost billions.
This crisis cannot be solved by placing greater burdens on consumers, employers, and employees. We need dramatic change.
people of Illinois need to change the way they govern themselves. We
must restrict the bad tendencies of Illinois governing structure, and
return more power back to voters who deserve greater control of their
own destiny. People know how to build their future. In Illinois, they
simply lack the ability to do so.
These issues are only a beginning - please help us prioritize the agenda below and send us your ideas along the way. The reform tour and the agenda for change start with people like you.
Protect taxpayers from the reckless financial decision-making of elected officials:
- Prevent the imposition of new taxes to pay for costly programs or to solve financial crises caused by fiscal mismanagement and over-spending
- Require a 3/5’s super majority vote to raise taxes or increase state debt.
- Protect state pension funds, dedicated funds, and state assets from sale or mortgage to pay for other programs.
Protect citizens from elected officials who flagrantly abuse the power of their office:
- Prohibit political contributions from state contractors.
- Institute a revolving-door ban for elected officials and staff.
Empower voters to affect the state’s policy agenda.
- Allow a statewide vote on binding referenda to define state policy.
- Allow voters to recall elected officials who have neglected their duties or betrayed the public trust.
- Require a statewide vote to approve any increase in state debt above $1 billion.
Respect families by giving them more freedom and responsibility for their own lives.
- Create an educational tax credit to help parents pay for education related expenses.
- Protect private property from government seizure.
- Providing state tax incentives to individuals and businesses for donating their privately owned open space for environmental conservation.